Thursday, November 26, 2009

Five Part Harmony

While we were in China, I began to mentally compile a list of things about my “ordinary” life back home that I took for granted. China is a great nation but it is very, very different from the U.S.A. Travelling far away from home has made me extra thankful for these things:

1. In my house, I can get clean, drinkable water right from the tap.

2. Even though I live close to a major city, the air quality is good enough to support the lives of pigeons, sparrows and the like.

3. I can choose to attend (or not to attend) whatever church I choose without fear of retribution or scrutiny.

4. The size of my family not mandated by the government.

5. I have the privilege of having siblings, and my children enjoy that same privilege.

6. I work a 5 day work week, and enjoy a two day weekend.

7. In my country debate and discussion of political ideas is encouraged, and there is a balance of power between political parties and views.

8. I get to vote. I have a voice in selecting my leaders and I am free to influence the direction of my government.

9. I live in a country united by a common language.

10. I live in a country where disabled persons have rights, and may not (legally) be discriminated against.

So, if you were looking for something to be thankful for today… there’s some food for thought there.



Speaking of Thanksgiving; today was Jonathan Futing’s first Thanksgiving with us. He was quite happy at Mom-mom and Pop-pop’s table (he really likes corn) and we were happy to be there too.

While I am thankful for all that has happened this past year, I should also acknowledge that adding to our family has been a challenge. I feel like I am learning how to parent all over again (you’d think I’d have it down by now!) I have decided that adding a child to a family (through adoption or birth) requires Mom and Dad to learn a new variation on their own parenting theme. Just as a musician knows how to play notes and chords expertly but must arrange and deliver them differently with each new piece they learn.

Playing 5 pieces at once is quite a stretch! Kim and I both sometimes wonder if, perhaps, we have just lost our minds in accepting this challenge. We're stumbling through learning this new arrangement and we’re betting our lives that, somehow, God can make a five part harmony out of all this noise!






1 comment:

  1. thank you for letting us share your journey. You guys have been such an encouragement and blessing to me. We leave Dec. 4th for our next adventure - a 4 yr old little boy. You have certainly helped us as we anticipate this trip.
    Kippi Nelson

    ReplyDelete