Thursday, November 12, 2009

Back in Shenyang

We are back!!! Back in Shenyang that is. This morning we went to the square by the Sea in Dalian, where it was bitterly cold. It was an awesome view of the sea and of Dalian. We were thankful for this opportunity to see the city where Futing was born.

Futing was wonderful on the bus and fell asleep, when he woke up he asked "Where are we?" The little guy is so confused about where we are and where we are going -- just like his mommy and baba are! We are so thankful for our wonderful guide, Maggie. She has been great and we would be lost without her.

This experience has probably been the hardest thing we have ever done together in our lives and as a married couple. It has been physically draining as well as emotionally tiring. Futing has been wonderful. He has such a pleasant personality. He loves to make faces at himself in the mirror and laugh. As I type this he is trying to help Jeremy fix his CD player. We brought a CD player with us and he LOVES listening to his chinese music. For some reason the CD player is not working and Futing seems to think he can fix it. He LOVES to eat and eats a lot. He has been so good. Our guide asked him what he thought of us. He said he liked us. Whew! That was good news to us. He is just like any other boy and crashes his cars and then lines them all up again.

Night time is tough. When we start dimming the lights, he gets a sad look on his face. He will then either go get or have me get his 2 coats and his shoe. He then piles them all up and will lay there with a solemn look on his face till he falls asleep. You can tell at night time he is thinking of his Chinese foster mama.

On a funny note, last night I told him in Chinese it was time to go to bed. He then repeated me changing one of the words. He is now correcting my mandarin!

I said earlier this has been the toughest thing we have ever done, but it has been so worth it. Our love for this little guy is growing everyday. My views on international adoption are changing, but that is a post for another time. I am so thankful that God has allowed us to travel this road and I am counting the days till our family is all under one roof.

Time to go think about dinner and decide if we want to go out in the snow. Yes, it is snowing here.

-- Kim

Jeremy's postscript: Ditto what Kim said. We are feeling both thankful and tired. In the early morning today I had a quiet time and found myself reading Jeremiah 29:11. I believe that is a very appropriate verse for Futing right now.

I was glad we got to see a little bit of Dalian, but it was so good to get back to Shenyang. Never have I been so happy to see a statue of Chairman Mao!

Not much luck with the CD player. Futing is listening to Chris Rice on my MP3 player ... the most soothing thing I could find.

The Chinese language (Mandarin, I mean) continues to fascinate me, but it also is mentally tiring trying to remember even the simplest words and phrases. The funny thing is that, because we know a tiny tiny little bit of Chinese, Futing assumes we can understand everything he says. He prattles on and looks at us knowingly. We smile and clap a lot... what can you do?? In the end, I suspect we will evolve our own little language between the three of us!

Futing is a great boy, and Kim and I love him already. On balance with that, there are four other kids out there that we are both aching to hug.

All right, I am going to put some pictures on this post and then see about dinner!





3 comments:

  1. oh, it just breaks my heart that his aches for his foster mama. I suspect that our son will grieve for his when we pick him up. What a testimony to the love and care he received. But still hard. I will pray for the healing of his little heart. It's pretty obvious he has some great parents, a super set of siblings, a wonderful base of extended family and friends, but of course, a great big God!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos! The part about sleep just about made me cry. Isn't international adoption amazing? You are going to be one incredible family when you get home, there is no doubt!

    ReplyDelete