Monday, November 8, 2010

“Getting it” on Gotcha Day




Yes, it was only one short year ago that we first met Jonathan. Is it cliche to say that this doesn't seem possible?? Well, cliche or not, that's where Kim and I find ourselves. Jonathan... is... a ... Shafer. He's one of us. We are his and he is ours and it simply feels like it has always been that way.

We're gonna celebrate anyway.

We have consciously chosen not to give gifts on this special day because we do not want to stir up any sibling rivalry! But we will all go out for a special meal together (a Chinese buffet!) which, you understand, costs us a small fortune. It is so worth it. Then we'll hurry home for our last official follow up visit from our Bethany case worker. And that's a bitter-sweet milestone because we like her so much!

I must admit that both Kim and I have both had our share of nostalgic feelings as we look back on our adoption experience. It was hard, tiring, and emotionally taxing. But it was also quite a rush! It was great to be engaged in such an undertaking together and, on top of that, the experience of traveling to far off places ... Wow, some days you just want to hop in a time machine and go back. (Or maybe jump on a plane and do it all over again!?)

This past Sunday we shared our adoption story with a Sunday School class at New Life Glenside Church. It was great to visit aunt Peggy at her church, share with others about what God had done in our family, and (best of all) hear the stories of some grown adopted children. What a privilege that was!

In my "quiet time" this morning I found myself journaling about contentment, happiness, and emotional energy (in other words, the same old stuff.) You'll think me less spiritual if I admit that I was (at least in part) inspired by the latest VeggieTales video "Its a Meaningful Life" ... which I whole-heartedly endorse!



I was also reminded of these words:

"For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it." Mathew 16:25

I know everyday can't be a gotcha day, and the likelihood of hopping a transcontinental flight right now seems pretty slim, but I can find ways to lose my life a little bit each day. You can too. So, the challenge I am left with, and the challenge I will pass along to you, is to do something. Something kind, something unexpected, and something costly.

Hmm... maybe I an finally “getting it” on Gotcha Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment