Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Ramblings

I started this post on Saturday. I am finally getting around to posting it today. We received a phone call today from Shriner's Hospital requesting that we bring Jonathan in for his next prosthetic fitting. We will be going down there on Thursday afternoon to meet with the prosthetist. We will not be getting the prosthetic this Thursday, this appointment is only to fit it and make sure they are on the right track in making the leg.

Ramblings

Today Jonathan was hoping down the hallway on his one leg. He yelled, “Look at me!” I expressed my astonishment at his wonderful hoping ability and then I asked him, “Where is your other leg?”

Without missing a beat he replied, “In China!”

I said, “Where in China?”

Jonathan answered, “It's hiding”.

I asked, “Would you like the doctor to make you a leg that would go right here?”

He answered, “No, because I don't want one”. A few minutes later, I was helping Jonathan put on a Buzz Light year costume.

He asked, “This have 2 legs?”

I answered, “Yes”.

He asked, “Why I only have one leg?”

Caught a little off guard, I said, “Because God made you very special”.
And then I thought that if he had 2 legs, he would not be part of our family, he would not be my son. I (of course) would not wish a “disability” on anyone, but the fact is that if Jonathan had been born with 2 legs he would most likely not have been abandoned. I can only assume that Jonathan was abandon because he was missing a leg. I'll never know for sure. I was not there. I have not talked with his birth family so I am making an assumption. Regardless of the exact reason why Jonathan was abandoned, he was abandoned because someone didn't think they could take care of him. I can't imagine my life without Jonathan. He has added so much to our family. He is part of our family. He is my son. He is a brother to Amanda, Tyler, Jordan, and Ben.

In the next few weeks, Jonathan's life is about to change. He will be given a prosthetic leg. I wonder what will he think of this contraption? Will he accept it? Will he take it off and hide it? Does he even want a leg? My guess is that he will embrace this new challenge with a positive attitude. I am thinking there will be good and bad days in his attempts to use his new leg. I am certain that, with time, he will conquer the challenge of learning to use it.

While in China, one of our driver's asked if Jonathan would receive a prosthetic leg in America. Jeremy replied that we were working with a wonderful hospital that would help us evaluate his options. Jeremy asked the driver if anything would be done to help Jonathan if he stayed in China. The reply was that, most likely, nothing would be done until he was much older. I believe the driver, along with the majority of people in China, was saddened by these limited options. Yet individuals like him are not in a position to help the disadvantaged; the little ones. I believe this driver saw Jonathan's being adopted as the best way for him to have a better life; a life that he hoped would include a prosthetic leg.

So, I am reminded this July 4th weekend to be thankful for the freedoms that we so often take for granted. I am thankful that in America we value children, individual rights, independence and differences. I am thankful that we are not told how many children can be part of our family. I am thankful that we have the freedom to home-school. I am thankful that we have the freedom to go to church and worship God. As we live our daily lives, it is so easy to forget all the freedoms we have just because we live in America.

I am also so thankful that Jonathan is part of my family. I am thankful that he will be given the opportunity to have a prosthetic leg. I recognize that his disability made it possible for him to become part of our family. I wish there were some way we could communicate with his China Mama and Baba and let them know that their little boy is happy. He is getting a leg. He is growing. He is thriving. He is healthy. He is part of a family that loves him very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment