Monday, June 21, 2010

a simple day

Last night we made a memory. It was a simple thing. Going to a drive-in movie to see Toy Story 3. It is a rare thing for our family to see a movie in the theatre. It was the first for the kids to go to a drive-in. The closest drive-in is a little over an hour from our house. We decided we would have father's day pizza for dinner and then head out. We got to the drive-in about 7:30 and spent the next 1.5 hours playing games as a family.












It was fun watching the kids play hangman, cards and chess together. They tossed a ball, we ate fun snacks and had a great time. The 1.5 hours really went by very quickly.












At 9:00 the movie began and everyone loved watching the movie under the stars. Jonathan was a little distracted when a helicopter flew over nearby. The movie was over at 11:00 PM and we were home safely a little after midnight. As I type this it is 9:30 AM and only 2 kids out of 5 are awake.

Why can't every night be like last night? I realize that so ofter I create my own chaos. I try and do too much. An example. We had heard about an opportunity to host a Chinese exchange student for 2 weeks this summer. We had been praying for an opportunity like this. It is our desire to continue to broaden our children's worldview as well as reach out to those in need. It is our desire to not become complacent in our living to fall back into our comfortable routine.


If we hosted a Chinese student this summer it would mean that the kids and I would be on the road at least 4 hours a day driving the student to and from their class which is about an hour from our home. I thought I could do that no problem. Then we had our Shriner's visit and the realization hit me that some of Jonathan's prosthetic appointments will most likely fall during that 2 week period. Yesterday as I was thinking through all this I began to realize I was creating my own chaos. I was feeling overwhelmed by all the driving and working in possible appointments and it is still 5 weeks away! If I am feeling overwhelmed now how will I feel actually doing it all. God bless my husband. In talking it out with him, he told me to call and cancel our appointment with the coordinator for today. I do not serve a God of chaos. My kids are young. There will be many more opportunities like this one where we can serve as a family. I am realizing God wants a willing heart. A heart that is willing to step out and serve Him. I know God's plans do not create chaos, but rather they bring peace.


My new goal for this summer- keep it simple. Spend more time under the stars with my kids. Don't create my own chaos. Don't fall into a routine. Be open and willing, but remember God is a God of peace.








2 comments:

  1. Simple days make the best memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your post. We had a similar Father's Day and it was amazing. It was probably one of my most fun days since bringing Everest home. You make some excellent points in your blog post. Other opportunities will present themselves!!

    ReplyDelete