Thursday, August 5, 2010

The twisty-turny road back home

We made it home from our visit to the Jamestown, NY area. It was really good to see my Mom, my brother Peter, and his wife Shirley. The photos Kim posted previously illustrate some of the fun stuff we got to do with the kids.

We had a really unfortunate mishap while we were in New York. Even though Kim does most of the blogging around here, she didn't document it because, well, she's a really virtuous sort of woman and she didn't want to publicly "dis" her husband. (I love that about her.)

But, the sad story goes like this: on Tuesday morning as we were just about to head out on a day trip to see friends near Buffalo, I backed the van into a tree. I mean, I really whammed into a tree, not just a little tap. Crunch went the tailgate and the whole back window of the van shattered into a million little pieces.

And our plan for the day was scuttled.

Now, here I could attempt to interject excuses and justifications, but the sad truth is that I was the driver, I should have been paying closer attention... and I didn't. That's it. I goofed.

So, as my brother and I squirreled around in Jamestown the better part of Tuesday (visiting car rental agencies, and a body-shop) I had ample opportunity to talk to God about what had gone on and listen to what He had to say. You know what He told me?

  1. You need to be more careful.
  2. When you're backing up your car, you really need to be more careful!
  3. Making excuses will do you no good.
So, here I am.

I wanted to write this to say how really, really, proud I am of Kim and the kids. They took all this in stride. They flexed. We still had fun. We still managed to squeeze some good stuff out of our vacation and, yeah, we still got to see our friends in Buffalo the next day. (Not exactly what we had planned, but close.)

My hat's off to Peter and Shirley too. They really rolled with the punches and were a tremendous help to us.

As you can imagine, the car-ride home was quite an adventure. Our rear window was covered in plastic and duct tape and we took many many more twisty-turny back roads than we would have preferred (in the rain!) And there were the 5 kazoos that came in kid's meals.... but we made it.

I'm very proud of my family here and that, I thought, was worth putting in to print.

No comments:

Post a Comment