Friday, October 30, 2009

For-real for real.

This upcoming week seems decidedly unreal. I mean, Kim and I generally don't travel too far from home. So, the idea that next Wednesday we'll be flying to Beijing is ... um ... Unusual.

But little things will snap me out of all that. Kim made this neat poster board calendar for the kids. It has cartoonish pictures of planes and buses and notes on where we will be.

I looked at it and thought, "Hmmm, I think this helps ME." (I wonder if she will make a giant poster board calendar for her husband??!)

The thing that gives us the most pause for concern right now is, I think, the 6-hour-one-way bus rides from Shenyang to Dalian city and back again. Jonathan will be with us each way. (Why not just meet Jonathan in Dalian city you ask? Kindly take your concern up with the PRC, please.)

Traveling with a child, even one you know well and can communicate with, can be a challenge. Crayons and coloring books will only take you so far.

So, those of you who are inclined to pray, please be advised!

2 comments:

  1. I'm continuing to pray for your family and that Jonathan's adjustment goes smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually the bus ride was 4 1/2 hours with one bathroom break smack in the middle. On the way back from Dalian to Shenyang it was 5 hours only because we hit rush hour afternoon traffic in Shenyang. You will have Chinese movies to watch which aren't the best and you might even see the same ones again on the way back. But you will get through it and it will be so worth it! I'm praying for you and for Johnathan.
    Pam (Dalian Mom)

    ReplyDelete